Sunday 8 January 2017

Full-time? and Who are these people?

To Full-time or not to Full-time?

Not that we're in this conundrum but we are certainly standing on the edge of it. I was just reading a Blog on Roaming RV's website and thought it was a good topic to write about.

For a long time we were back and forth about whether to sell the house and had it listed online (kijiji and eBay) for awhile, but we absolutely love this house as the two of us built it just last year. Yes, we built a house together, something I said I'd never do because every couple I've ever met who did -broke up at the end of it. I can honestly say it brought us closer together.

I moved around a lot as a kid so find it very easy to get rid of stuff and go. However, my darling husband feels the need for a home base and since we don't have to sell the house to buy an RV it only makes sense to keep the house. There are other reasons we wanted to sell which I will not get into here, but at the end of the day I just want to go, my gypsy senses are tingling and I think it will do him a world of good to get away also.

I am hoping that we'll have so much fun out there we wont have a need to come back here and can just visit when we miss our friends. Though we hope to make many more.

We are a quirky couple to be sure. I am a blend of Edith Bunker and the softer side of Murphy Brown and he is Archie Bunker through and through. Not literally, but that is the banter we do with each other. He carries on like I should be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen and I threaten to Bobbit his ass (showing my age there) while playing the 'but I'm just a girl' card. We can do this because we both respect each other and we know who really wears the pants in this relationship, right honey? (teehee).

Seriously, though we definitely have 'disagreements' we always find a way to compromise or, alternately there is always one of us the issue at hand means more to and the other gives way.

We are beginning our YouTube channel videos very soon, likely today in fact, if I can figure out how, so I wanted to put this out there so people don't get all disjointed about our banter. In life, some people have been know to take it seriously until they get to know us and it can be quite disconcerting for some. Others get it right away.

It is well into January now and Spring is approaching fast, while we haven't really decided what we will be doing ie. RV or Globe Trotting we are definitely leaning towards the RV. With the RV it gives us a roof over our heads at all times (and we could still travel abroad), Globe Trotting requires spending your time at each place trying to find the next and the point of this is to relax, unwind and enjoy.

Until we get 'out there' this blog will likely be predominately about the learning process - I've been studying how to fix everything from painting walls to cleaning tanks. As well, there are gadgets!! I do so love my gadgets!! He has called me a gadget queen for years now, when we travel the dash looks like a space shuttle I have so much stuff attached to it, and my office - well....

I think, having just reread this that I at least am definitely planning for RV Life. We'd like to stay in Canada as much as possible with the occasional jaunt into the U.S., but I worry about the Canadian winters though I'm told it is possible. We have a large country up here with plenty to see and do, and having both lived and/or travelled across all of it a few times though not as tourists - I think that it will be great fun and very different from our working days with kids living at home. However, the U.S. is more populated with better access to the services we will require for an RV.

Time will tell and I for one am quite excited. Hope you will follow along and see what we see.

Special thanks to all those Bloggers and YouTubers who have put themselves out there for us to learn from. Undoubtedly, we will still make plenty of mistakes and even duplicate some we have already learned not to do from others' mistakes.

It will be great - you will see!!!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning my blog! My goodness after reading your blog post I thought maybe you were writing about us! OMG the similarities are huge! I am really looking forward to hearing more about your travels. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on trying to decide whether to go part time or full time. We decided full time because our mortgage was so expensive and we didn't want to have to be landlords, so we sold everything to hit the road. But if I could have, I might have tried to keep the house just to try things out first. It's worked out for us. We are having a lot of fun. But I can definitely see where you might want to not just jump in with both feet.

    The other thing I'd point out is that while it is "possible" to winter in an RV, it is not fun. At all. The insulation is bad and you burn through propane quickly. So you might want to try to plan to be somewhere warm in the winter, if possible.

    If you have any questions, we're happy to try to help you out. We've been figuring this all out as we go to. I'm looking forward to following your journey!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, We appreciate the support. Thought your blog www.chapter3travels.com was great!

      Delete
  3. Once the decision is made, set it in motion! It's so worth it. I'm looking forward to your getting-ready process and travels! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Guys, Thanks soo much for stopping by, I've been reading your blog since Paddy put you on the radar. I stopped by just yesterday and wanted to comment but it seems you have to be a member of WordPress which we aren't, perhaps there is a way to change that in your settings? Anyway, thanks again for stopping by. See you on the road.

      Delete
    2. I just looked again and it wasnt commenting it was liking I tried to do.

      Delete

Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie