Friday 11 January 2019

Laundry Day

We could have bought a proper used laundry set, but then if we leave the island we'd have to sell it or leave it behind. I had seen many RVers with washer spin dryers and I had one myself when the kids were small, but in winter and rain I'd need a way to dry.... so to find something we could take with us should we decide to move on.

I found these:

There was no tracker on the washer, so best guess was Jan 11-23rd!!! However, it did show that it had crossed the border when I checked it on Wednesday am and since it was coming from California I didn't think it would take too long to arrive so we held off going to Duncan and having already received the dryer - I chose to wash a few things by hand (yes, red raw hands) and hope the washer came through in a couple of days.

By that very afternoon, it arrived. The wonders of Canada Post!

Washer/Spin Dryer

When I ordered it I thought it was orange so was much relieved when it arrived brown.

For those unfamiliar:
Clothes go in the left side, water enters through the hose at the top left and the clothes are agitated clean. You then drain the water out and move the clothes to the right side (to rinse, the hose is attached to the right top) and spun very rapidly which removes 95% of the water. 

Obviously 35 years ago the one I had wasn't plastic, so I was a little concerned about this concept (Brad was too) but its actually working well - so far.... had it now for 2 days and have done several loads as I need to catch up.

13 lb capacity. I checked and a typical washer does around 20lb, so not too far off.

This is the dryer.

 It is essentially a clothes rack with a zippered enclosure, there is a heater at the bottom which puts heat up through and dries the clothes, quite well I might add. Roughly an hour and its all dry. However when I was wringing the clothes by hand it took about 2 hours to dry them, fortunately that didn't last but a few hours before the washer arrived.

There are 6 cross clips (here used for socks) which you can then hang things on with a coat hanger. I have found it helpful if I turn the hangers half way through, for speed to get both sides dry when doing a full load but if I leave it to dry long enough, say an hour and a half, it will all be dry. 


Vent holes at the top allow excess hot air and moisture to escape - making the old stinky shed smell fresh and clean. 

We will be putting a proper laundry line in the yard somewhere for nice days but this will be great for wet/cold days.

Brad gave the windows a good going over and now we can see out 

Its been raining dogs and cats here the last week or so but apparently we've come out the other side of it and now we can get some stuff done around here..... and hang a laundry line, too.


2 comments:

  1. Your laundry system looks great for being portable. A little more "hands on" than we are used to but certainly will save $$$ and time since you don't have to go over to Duncan. Glad it is working out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly, I have to tend to it for about 10 min until it is hung to dry but that really isn't a big deal for me.

      Delete

Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie