Thursday 30 July 2020

Deck refresh

The back deck has been black since we moved in. Yesterday I finally got around to doing something about it. The mildew had filled in the grooves of the wood planks and the deck had become 'slick'.

Moved everything out of the way

My handy dandy RV brush and a bucket of bleach & water

1st of 2 coats

Before

After

While the wood is still dark in spots, the grooves are back and it looks so much better. While it didn't come up as well as I'd hoped it would - it is still a vast improvement from what it was.

I also made 4 jars of Blackberry jam and a jar of blackberry cordial yesterday from berries I picked in our back yard, so nice to have such a glorious environment.

6 comments:

  1. Power washing would make it much brighter. I love to power wash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree but our power washer is still in 'hell'.

      Delete
  2. Try oxalic acid mixed with hot water. Hardware or paint store should have it. Antique furniture restorer for over 50 years and I've removed some large, heavy stains with it. Rinse really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Always nice to hear from new commenters. I'll keep it in mind if it needs doing again.

      Delete
  3. Just the thing to do on a hot day ... play with water. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL a big bucket is the closest I can get to your lake life. LOL

      Delete

Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie