Sunday 26 June 2022

False pregnancy, kind of...


Gertrude was put in with Peter on May 16th, so she was due between June 13-16th. On June 10th I gave her a nesting box and she set about happily making her nest, all was well with the world.

June 16th came and went, no kits.... I waited and waited, nothing.
June 20th, I removed the nesting box because it was clearly a false pregnancy.

The morning of June 22nd, a single deceased kit appeared in her cage with her. 

Peculiar, none of my rabbit friends have never heard of such a thing and we can only surmise that the kit died before the due date and her body finally removed it.

Very sad and unfortunate.

 

2 comments:

  1. I wish people who know nothing about raising rabbits would stop doing so. She gave birth to a dead kit, toxins from it in her system can make her very sick or die. Idiots...nowadays. Good luck and stop doing what you know to little about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly, I have an incredible amount of knowledge about raising rabbits. I don't know what you would have me do? Cut her open to search for a pregnancy I didn't know she had? Wouldn't want to be a rabbit of yours.
      Secondly, we are currently searching for a new home for them.
      Third, Judge not...

      Delete

Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie