Thursday 29 October 2020

All this food requires more walking

I'm sure you've all become fed up (pardon the pun) with my betty feedings so I haven't been bothering to take pictures of anything going in or coming out.

So just briefly:

The pork chops are out and packaged, then Chicken Green Curry. Right now I have Indian Butter Chicken in and tomorrow is Tandoori Chicken, cooked Ground Beef and more Indian Butter Chicken. 

Oh, and also somewhere in there I did Skittles and Gummy Bears. The Skittles blow up to the size of marbles and kind of have a 'Pop Rocks' thing going on and the Gummy Bears blow up to Fuzzy bears. Pretty neat. Great gifts for the Grandkids... I'm thinking Skittles, Ice Cream scoops, Taffy and something else their parents will hate....... I'm mean that the kids will really enjoy.  😁😁😁

Dealing with Betty doesn't take much at all - just put stuff on the trays and put the trays in the freezer to await their turn. Granted, Brad has been cooking -- which naturally takes effort but the actual Betty part is pretty simple. Put them in and turn her on, wait anywhere between 12-40 hours depending on the water level of what your doing and then take it out and put it in a bag with an oxygen absorber or put it in a jar with a moisture absorber. We've had her 4 weeks and even with Brad coming home all the time with more food, we've managed to empty the fridge freezer and made a dent in the deepfreeze too.

Other than that I've just been playing pickleball, cleaning the house and nagging Stacey to get out walking... we went through about a week there where we were both busy with other things and we've just got back to the walking. The orchard is on a pretty significant sized block and with a trail on one end we are able to walk the whole 'block' which takes half hour at a pretty good clip and has substantial grades going both down and up, today we went the hard way with the steepest grade on the up, I have yet to forgive her - hahaha. We haven't been to do a proper hike for awhile but we'll get to it.

I sent some samples of candy, bananas, strawberries, grapes and banana loaf to Brad's brother in England and all of the above with an addition of Thanksgiving leftover ham and turkey to his Mum in SK and my Dad and his new wife in ON so they can all get an idea of what this is all about.

I actually saw someone today on a FaceBook group say that because they wouldn't be able to spend time with their family as usual this Thanksgiving (in the U.S), that they were making thanksgiving dinner which they would freeze dry and send it out to family members. They could all then have the same Thanksgiving meal together via Zoom or the like. I thought this was pretty ingenious idea. 

6 comments:

  1. Sending those dinners out to family and then zoom would be a great fun idea. I'm sure some home school moms could make a study on the physics of the whole process and enjoy hydrating and eating too. I'm impressed with your fun pricy toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet another good idea - homeschooling lesson. Too bad my homeschooling friend grew her kids up and sent them off already. We're pretty impressed with Betty too.

      Delete
  2. Glad you are having fun with your new toy and keeping busy. Great to have something to do on wet, dark days, with more on the way this winter.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been having a lot of fun with her. Brad especially... and considering he was opposed to getting her at first... well, I guess she's an impressive unit.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are both enjoying Betty and happy to share in her success.
    Nice to get back to hiking.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter what I do I cannot get your comments to my inbox. Sorry I'm just seeing this now.

      Delete

Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie