Thursday 8 October 2020

Harvest Right Home Freeze Dryer

As Brad had managed to secure our delivery for today, I spent the morning preparing a bunch of peppers to freeze them in our fridge freezer so they would be ready for our expected delivery.


Peppers prepped and ready to freeze

Using pizza stands to separate the racks, off to the freezer with them.

Noah from Day & Ross was our delivery guy today, he was a very professional and polite young man. He helped Brad carry our new baby inside, which was much appreciated.

We purchased 'Betty' from Good2GoCo.ca and they were spot on.

Even including a note and complimentary gift.

Here she is: Betty Boop weighing in at 110lbs
Well FG, were you right?

We were fully anticipating and had ordered the basic vacuum pump that comes with the machine as a set. I was very concerned because apparently it is quite loud and as you can see, the machine is sitting in our very open concept living space. 

We were very pleasantly surprised to find that we had received the upgrade to the premium pump which is the quietest of the 3 pumps on offer. Someone somewhere is looking out for us. This upgrade is roughly a $1000 bonus.

It is such a significant upgrade that Brad thought I had ordered it without telling him, especially since I have been going on about how worried I am about the noise level. I did not.

Inside the chamber are 4 trays.

When you receive the unit you are required to wait 24 hours before turning it on to allow coolants etc to settle within the machine. I wiped it out with vinegar/water and allowed it to air dry, cleaned trays and door gasket and set up and put oil in the vacuum pump.... The machine was put in its spot at 2pm today.

Now we wait. I have pickleball tomorrow at 1pm..... aaaargh, I think it will be a short play day for me.


From Astronauts to Hikers, everyone can benefit from a personal Freeze Dryer. Freeze Dried foods are stored in mylar bags and will keep on a shelf for approximately 25 years!!

To give you a better perspective:
Frozen food: 2 years
Canned food: 3 years
Dehydrated food: 4 years
Freeze Dried food: 25 years

Here is a 7 minute series of short videos from Harvest Right if you are interested in learning more.

                

10 comments:

  1. I was wrong. I thought it was a wood fired pizza oven or a Traeger smoker/grill. Enjoy your new toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered. I don't think too many would have guessed Freeze Dryer. Nice to have a little fun with it though.

      Delete
  2. Definitely would not have guessed freeze dryer, what a great concept. Need lots of storage space though for all the containers. Old school root cellar. :) Have fun with your new toy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite an investment but if it helps you save you the need to go to the store that alone is a savings.
    Once the food is Freeze Dried at what temperature does it have to be stored at?
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Room temperature. More posts to follow. it was a huge investment and Brad is still twitching from it, however it will pay for itself in just 1 year - and that's without selling at the market - which I'm probably going to do.

      Delete
    2. PS your comments have been going to my junk folder lately for some reason. I am trying to set a rule for it, only yours is doing this. If you could reply to this, that would be helpful. Just a wink or something...

      Delete
    3. I don't often check if someone replies to my comments but that is interesting to hear. It might be wise I mention that on our Blog because it could be happening on other post that I comment.
      It's about time.

      Delete
  4. I'm dying to hear how your toy is working out.

    ReplyDelete

Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie