Wednesday 18 August 2021

Been a busy time

Obviously its been a crazy busy time around here. I haven't written a post since Aug 3rd!! And with my memory I can only write about that which I have pictures of to recall. 

I have been unpacking and finding places and rearranging to fit all of our belongings that I brought back with me on my trip. A feat in and of itself, I assure you.


Regular use jar stand

Found this wine bottle stand (at GIRO, the local re-store) which fits my 'former spaghetti sauce' jars. The proper canning jars are too big but fortunately the spag sauce once which we have a lot of do fit very well.


We went for supper at a place in Cedar, just outside Nanaimo and it was fantastic! So reminded us of a pub in England just down the road from Brad's brother.



Beautiful outdoor (s)eating garden also. 

There are benches to sit and chat over a glass of wine, picnic tables for meals and just an all around fabulous atmosphere. The staff were amazing, such a vast difference from our current island that I cannot even begin to explain.

Tudor building to boot

Such a warm and welcoming environment

One happy dude

On a different topic -- the garden. We are still harvesting, processing, freeze drying, etc. 

1 of our zucchini

So far Betty is managing to keep up with the garden harvest but the tomatoes haven't 'really' begun coming ripe yet. We get the odd tomatoe here and there which we're mostly using for our fresh salads, I also made Picco de Gallo (Bruschetta) the other day and shared a bit with the people who were staying that day in the guest house next door (which is now a B&B, apparently until fall).

My 'Good Son' is coming for a night or two, he hopes (ferry scheduling issues with his work schedule) at the end of the month so I have been rearranging all kinds of stuff which was in Betty's room (which is the guest room) so that if/when guests stay we can just pull Betty out for the duration of their stay.

To be clear, I say 'my good son' because they are both my good sons. Its a family joke, I've always told them both they are the good son or favourite or whatever. And yes, they are both well aware that they both get the same blah blah from Mum. (also, remember the movie 'The Good Son?... jus sayin'.)

This particular 'good son' is my Army brat. Who is stationed in Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) literally just north of us - and yet something like 18 hours away. I will warn you now though, he does not like his picture taken nevermind posted online.


4 comments:

  1. Used to live in Nanaimo. Loved the Crow and Gate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! In that case: Why didn’t you tell me?!?! Hahaha

      Delete
  2. We have been to the Crow and Gate several times over the years and always loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried to go again yesterday but it was so busy the wait was 40-45 minutes so we went to A&W instead. Just not the same...

      Delete

Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie