Monday 20 December 2021

My first fermentings

As I mentioned in a previous post, I ordered a fermenting kit. Fermenting raw foods creates a probiotic effect which is good obviously, for your digestive health.

The kit is not a requirement, in fact only the canning jar is required and those can be purchased at any goodwill store quite cheap. I will explain how to do the process without the kit also.

Recipe from the booklet that came with the kit

but I intended to make more than that

All prepped and ready

Just put 1 tsp per 1 cup of water (known as the brine) and the veg (any veg or mix of veg) in the jar with any spices you like with that particular veg and add the weight (* or even a sterile rock) to keep the veg under water.

Put on the nipple cap (allows it to self burp) and store in cool dark place for 2-4 weeks.
*Alternately, if you don't have a nipple cap, manually release pressure very carefully twice a day for same duration.

I made 4 which is what the kit comes with

This allows me to have them ready once we finish the one I purchased the other week and as we finish each one I will refill it and rotate them that way. 

Once the ferment is finished (2-4 wks) put a 'normal' canning lid on them and they will keep in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months. Which allows me sufficient time to rotate them.


 

2 comments:

Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie