Wednesday 16 September 2020

More Canning and Faux Meat?!

We've just been crazy busy around here with winter prep, gardening and canning. 

Cinnamon Apple Pie Filling x 11

Smoke from the U.S is consistently getting thicker

Yesterday it lifted for the afternoon then returned much thicker by evening.

Don't think I mentioned these...
Stacey found a great deal for us on Kijiji... 2 paddleboards for $500! (usually $1500 each) so we jumped on them.

It took awhile but I did manage to get Brad on one for an hour and he did great but his massage woman has since vetoed the stand up idea. However we can get a kayak paddle and he can use the board like a kayak -which I have done before, still a great core workout.

More cherry tomatoes

Whole tomatoes, including one yellow.
                                            
On the local marketplace FB page the other day, someone was giving away 48 canning jars. They were absolutely disgusting having been left outside for a few years apparently.

Scrubbed and sterilized, I then bought new lids. Total cost $25. Sweet deal.

Chicken?
I came across a recipe for, basically - faux meat. Its called Seitan.
Brad did the whole *eyeroll* too but bear with me here, I have an idea.
I have the Beef and Pork version of the recipe too.

My newest incoming gadget will allow me to sell at the market and this island has a lot of vegan/vegetarian types, so I wanted to try this. Mr. Carnivore himself was my taste tester and he actually liked it. Not that he would ever give up meat, but he gave it a definite 2 thumbs up. 

Not sure if I will do the market thing, but its an option, and so I am investigating it. This faux meat is quite the coup for someone who has only carnivore recipes though.

 

11 comments:

  1. Good for you doing all that canning. Great way to preserve all the produce from your garden. Nice pair of paddleboards. Sounds like you are feeling much better. See ... you cook too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no no, what I do is throw food together. What you do is cook. Beautiful, delicious dishes and I'm so mad about this Covid thing!!!

      Delete
  2. Just wondering if your going to share your meat making recipe 😉
    Cheers
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it is not really my recipe, I have included the link above.

      Delete
  3. That poop looking stuff is gross. Are you sure its not dog food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Well it IS a dough based meat - But I must say it looks and tastes just like slightly chewy chicken. Even when you rip it the texture is the same. Pretty good for dog food...

      Delete
  4. I am currently making a triple batch of our favourite soup and adding the 'chicken' to it. Not sure I'd ever eat it AS chicken but in a soup/stew... sure. However, vegan/vegetarians would absolutely love this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good deal on the Paddle Boards and Canning Jars.
    If Brad gives Thumbs up on all those recipes it could lead to a new wardrobe for the both of you.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh yeah, no. We are carnivores and thereby shall remain fat with high cholesterol evermore. ;)

      Delete
  6. Sorry, but your faux meat looks like the neighbor's big dog pooped in your dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no argument here but in a soup/stew and for a Vegan/vegetarian who struggle to find a meat replacement... this high protein dough meat is a great replacement.

      Delete

Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie