Saturday 7 November 2020

Betty is 1 month old today

Betty has been with us for 1 month today and we are so enjoying having her. Its fun learning all the things we can freeze dry and then actually freeze drying and reconstituting different items to see what works and what doesn't. So far, very little doesn't reconstitute well. And we have already done so much. Keep in mind we've been snacking on it too...

Since we moved Betty to her own room upstairs, it has been a bit of a nuisance to keep going up and checking on her status. In typical Katie fashion, I got a gadget for that! 

I ordered a baby monitor and an arm to put it in so that it could be held in a good position for viewing. And the baby monitor connects to wifi so I can view what's happening on my cell phone when I'm away from the house. I have an old iPhone 4S that I have set up as the designated monitor beside my chair in the living room for ease. But it is also on the iPad and Laptop.

Baby monitor set up

Monitor View

I was able to get the apples that were not quite finished in with the next batch which finished them completely, I had 1.5 jars of apples and they lasted about 2 days but not because of moisture.... sooooo good. :D 

FD'd Apples

This is our meats shelf and it is over full except for the fruit department at the top (we've eaten all but 1 package of bananas and even that has been dipped in to for samples for friends/family.

Our jar shelf is finally filling in. Everytime I start to do fruits/veg Mr. comes home from his massage in Nanaimo with a bunch of meats that are always mysteriously on sale.

In trying to find cool stuff to do for the Grandkids this Xmas, I ran Jello through after freezing them in molds and they are great. Not really something I would eat as a snack but I've no doubt the Grandkids will think they rock.

I think I mentioned that on my birthday we were at a local restaurant which had Sticky Toffee Pudding but I was too full to eat it and we had birthday cake at home at the time, so I passed on it - a first!  Well Stacey and I walked to town one morning (return trip of 5.3km) about a week later only to find they do not open until 4pm (Covid, I assume). Well the other day I was driving by at 3:50pm and decided to pull in and wait for take out. Really delicious, as expected... I was too driven to eat it and didn't think of taking a pic, but I remembered after.... :D :D

Sticky Toffee Pudding remnants

2 trays of Romaine and 2 trays of Onions

At the moment I have 4 trays of Seitan Chicken in Betty with 2 trays of BBQ'd Steaks and 2 trays of BBQ'd Chicken waiting their turn. Seitan is a Vegan meat alternative, so clearly this load is not for us.

Mr. made more Chicken Green Curry last night and I have put my foot down, we need fruits/veg done now, enough with the meats already. In fairness, he did come home last time with a bunch of fruit/veg to feed to Betty so I guess bananas and grapes are after the curry.


6 comments:

  1. Be Safe and Enjoy playing with Betty.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have the baby monitor to not have to run up and down the stairs so much lol Kind of like my Traeger smoker that I monitor on my phone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have missed it, do you need to cook the meat first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually but not necessarily. We have some steaks we already did that were raw but these ones we did BBQ first.

      Delete

Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie