Wednesday 25 November 2020

Prepping for sales

I haven't had a chance to post anything as I've been super busy getting everything sorted for my foray into the local market scene.

The rules say you have to list the items you wish to sell and provide all ingredients. Well, I didn't know what items I wanted to sell so I have spent the last couple of weeks feeding bits of this and that to Betty to see what I would submit... they tell you to include anything you may do eventually so you do not need to apply later.

And here's me creating samples of tomatoes with seasoning on them to determine which seasoning I will be using so I can provide the ingredient list of same....

After getting a bit cheesed off with it all, I rang the woman in charge today and discovered that NO, in fact, I do not need to do all that. Just to say that I will be doing fruits and vegetables, candy and powders, dog treats and providing the FD as a service- should anyone have a favourite Grandma recipe they want to preserve... or, whatever...

So now having sent that paperwork off to the 'authorities', I now await their verdict of whether or not I shall be accepted in to the local market club. Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, I have been making batches. I have a good stock now of Unicorn Poop and Rainbow Chunks and now that my list has been finalized (so to speak) I can begin doing the fruits/veg/powders and dog treats.

I had ordered bags which arrived rather small and I then ordered larger bags which arrived rather large so Goldilocks has finally ordered what she hopes will be just right bags and they are expected in the next couple of days. Meanwhile, the small bags are great for 'unicorn poop' and the large ones will be good for 'asparagus' and 'astronaut ice cream', everything else will go into the medium bags. 

Next, I need more labels... hopefully I can get ones that are big enough I can put all the required information on one instead of how the unicorn poop ones turned out and I had to put a second label on the back with the ingredients.

Most of what I will be doing will be just product ie apples with no additional items, but ingredients of pickled beets, seasonings and candies will need to be noted on the packaging.

So this is what I've been doing lately... going rogue but with food.

6 comments:

  1. Wow you have been busy! Good luck with your new venture. You will have to take a picture of "your offerings" with your label. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will. I was just lazy last night but I wanted to put a post up, so..

      Delete
  2. I cant wait to hear how this goes over at the market. Sounds like a great product to me. Is the market always busy? Anybody else there selling FD stuff? I wish you weren't so far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no one else doing FD on this island but there is 1 or maybe 2 on Vancouver Island. I am setting up an online shop and selling across Canada, so be careful what you wish for FG, haha. The local physical market is not on offer currently since Covid kicked up again but they have set up an online site where locals put their orders in and vendors deliver to the hall where the organizers then load up a truck and deliver the items around the island once a week. Pretty good little system for such a tiny island really. So that is what I am concentrating on at the moment. Once I have the local market sorted I will finish my Etsy shop before joining the Nanaimo market...

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your venture but if it really takes off you'll be needing a Betty2. FDing Candies could get complicated. Have you looked at the Ingredients in Skittles alone? Starting to sound like a Fulltime Job.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've actually been discussing getting a Veronica... Brad suggested it just last night..

      Delete

Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie