Friday 16 April 2021

Herbs and the Greenhouse planter box

It was at least 24C (75F) yesterday so I spent a lot of time in the greenhouse. 

A few days ago I moved a lot of the tomatoe and pepper plants out to the greenhouse because I had hardened off the cold weather plants enough that they can stay on the counter out there and the warmer weather plants can now spend the nights in the hot box. 

I didn't move them all out just in case it wasn't the wonderful idea I thought it was -- but it was a wonderful idea as it turns out, they are doing fabulous out there. I just make sure to wait until it is 10C (which our overnights now are in the 7/8C range) before pulling them out of the hot box and setting them out on the greenhouse counter for sunshine and warmth during the day. Then between 7-8pm, I put them back to bed before it cools off too much.

Today I will likely move some more out to the greenhouse. The green beans and cucumbers will not fit on the shelves in the hot box so they will have to stay in the dining room window...

Yesterday I managed to plant some Radish and Beets in the greenhouse planter box. I put in seeds of Cilantro and Bunching onions too. In this greenhouse planter box I will be concentrating on the salsa seeds packet I think I mentioned a few weeks ago. It has roma tomatoes, jalapenos, bunching onions and cilantro in it. 

Bunching Onions, Beets, Cilantro and Radish

I started the salsa Jalapenos and tomatoes (4 of each) and they will be 'born' in the small greenhouse in the dining room where all of our starts begin.

New Kale

The Kale in the garden does not appear to be doing anything, so since the seeds are only good for this year (ie not heirloom seeds) I planted 8 more and we'll see which works best.

Herbs

I plan to have a pot of each of my herbs in the greenhouse, so I started them in small pots and they will be transplanted to larger pots once they crack (or sprout... or are born)

We will have: Basil, Cilantro, Rosemary, Cumin, Sage, Dill, Oregano, Parsley and Thyme - all things being equal, that is.

We are planting a lot of different things this year, mostly because we don't know what will work and what won't work in this area. Once we have a finger on it, next year we'll have a more streamlined garden.
 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a ball. I am Jealous of your nice weather. Predicting snow here next week. I have tomatoes 20 inches tall beyond ready to put out. I started them too soon. I was hoping for an early warm spring. I'll try to keep them going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's big tomatoes already, I could only wish... mine were just transplanted to the paper and buried deeper so only about 5-6 inches.

      Delete
  2. The way you are planting so much in your garden you should be good through the Winter with your harvest.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just seems like a lot. It will mostly be tomatoes and peppers with a little bit of other stuff.

      Delete

Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie