Thursday 11 May 2023

Computer fix

So the main reason I haven't been blogging much is honestly because my iMac was dragging soooo much it was really unusable. Just to open the internet took about 2 min, then each page change.... you know how it goes. 

I just assumed it was because its 6 years old and that 'they' were just screwing me out of a perfectly good computer so I'd have to buy another...

So for most of the winter, we had been watching the NHL on our TV connected through an HDMI to our laptop. We play the game (we pay for SportsNet) on the laptop and it comes through the HDMI cable to the TV and we have the game on big screen.

Well, all of a sudden it was so slow and stalling it became unwatchable so Brad had to watch the games in his office for the last month or so and I was just unable to watch at all, which didn't make me very happy but...

Yesterday, I decided to take a look at it as we couldn't remember why we stopped watching it through the laptop.

While trying to get the NHL playoffs to play on the TV again, I was fiddling with the laptop (we have a lot of compoopers) and discovered that McAfee (yes, the dreaded) was on the laptop and Norton was no where to be found. No idea how this happened. 

We pay a ridiculous fee every year for Norton but I guess somehow in the doing of compooper things (and I've caught it many times) it seems we allowed McAfee through and it was screwing up my computer, yet again. I've been through this a million times with McAfee, so I know.

Anyway, I uninstalled the McAfee and reinstalled the Norton. Voila, the game plays perfectly once again. Norton does so much more than McAfee (which I don't think does anything at all), including defragging (organizing files) and monitoring absolutely everything, etc.

Then I got to thinking about the iMac....

So it turns out it wasn't McAfee on the iMac but the Norton itself was outdated! Whodathunk?!

Anyway, I reinstalled the Norton and now my iMac is working perfectly once again!!!

So excited about this because I've missed my morning blog reading ritual and commenting and now it won't take me all day to write a post!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie