Sunday 5 November 2017

So I'm a little CooCoo

Went on a laundry run again today, bedding and a few clothes. Then spent the better part of today looking around eastern AZ and western NM for somewhere to move on to. Weeks ago Brad was looking at a map and saw a place called Truth or Consequences, well I got to looking a couple of days ago and there is availability close by. It means paying for a site and we all know how he feels about that with all his money invested in solar, but...

We need a change of pace. People to talk to. I get that this nomadic thing is a lonely game and that's fine -we're both loners, but every now and again its nice to have people around. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of people in Quartzsite but they are all clearly loners too.

Our original intent was to boondock for a couple/three weeks and spend a week at a campground. Well it's that time. We're both feeling it. We haven't been around anyone since Osoyoos and that was almost 3 weeks ago. Before that other than Brad's brother... Saskatchewan. So it's been a looong time.

I've been looking at Elephant Butte but as always I'm having trouble committing to it. This is a problem I've noticed. At first, we said we wanted to feel this place out longer. We've done that, it's time to move on.

Sure we could get a site at a local RV Park but what would be the adventure in that? I looked at The Grand Canyon and there is plenty of boondocking there but with the altitude I understand it will be a bit chilly.

I like the idea of New Mexico... Roswell is right up my alley and I'd love to see it. Yes, I know I've been told it's not all that but I don't care. Just to say I was there would be cool -and my brother would be sooooo jealous! LOL. Some of my online 'friends' are down around Austin right now and I remember seeing lots of cool stuff around there back in the spring when everyone was separating from Quartzsite, but I have a terrible memory and those amazing sights have abandoned my personal gray matter.

I remember something about an Island which I think was hit by a hurricane or something later in the year. I remember the (I think San Antonio) Walk... it's all just a blur, there is so much to this vast country and it is utilized and has been for decades. Canada is just vast and empty by comparison. We're here and I want to make the best of it.

For several years I'VE noticed some kind of anxiety issue. I blame my mother but that's another story. I worry too much basically. Will there be a bridge we can't get under? What if we can't turn around? Stupid things really... like we couldn't stop before a bridge, and our rig is a whopper at 28 feet so turning is never an issue. My father side of me (logical) know all of this but there's that nagging in the background that would drive a lesser woman to drink.

Instead it's driving Brad to drink (not literally). It's very annoying actually - not just to him, to me also. What if we pull into some boondocking spot and the ground is too soft to carry the weight? See what I mean? Stupid. Relatively. 1st World problems - like seriously Kate get a grip! My poor children... what it must have been like... (no comments from the peanut gallery, Travis!)

Okay so I'm getting a little Dr. Phil on myself here, sorry...

I don't jump out of perfectly good airplanes, I don't trust a rope to hold my weight if I jump off a bridge or climb steep mountains in a Jeep, I just don't understand why anyone would. I know people do and I know they survive and all that. Sometimes I can do something not quite so bold, like perhaps the Jeep ride but it helps if I do things incrementally... like the old 'the cat's on the roof' thing... build up to it and I can do anything.

Back in our sticks and bricks we lived literally on the Atlantic Ocean and it was great. We got a small motor boat and life jackets and off we went to tour around. Brad was a little 'heavy' with the throttle and the steering wheel and it freaked me out. I might have gone out once or twice after that but it really ruined the whole idea for me. We lived there for 7 years! Maybe it's a control thing? Maybe I'm just a nutter? The reason behind it, to me at least, is mute.

The point is that making a move to something unknown is definitely unsettling to me. Yes, I know I live in an RV! So I must be a nutter, right?! Agreed. I'm a nutter, but I'm a cute nutter! It's a curse but no matter what I do, I'm always still cute LOL

Many years ago I had a boyfriend who drove semi. He was adamant that I couldn't because it was 'a man's job' (at that time there were very few women doing it in Canada). WELL, Kiss my a**!! I went and got my 1A license and I was the second woman in the west I was told at the time. I met the other woman once, that was nice but she was about 60 and I was around 25. I wore short dresses and heels, yes indeedie I did!! (Don't tell my Father!) I rarely had to crank the dolly legs myself in the cold Canadian Prairie weather. It was great, but I digress...

The point is I can do anything I put my mind to but freak me out and forget it. So I don't want to make a wrong move I guess is what I'm saying. I don't want to freak myself out.

Brad just found a place in New Mexico he wants to check out called Angel Fire State Park, I have no idea what that is or why he's so intrigued by it... Google here I come.

For the record, once I get familiar with how this lifestyle works there will be no stopping us. We'll be going 'stealth' in our 28' motorhome in downtown New York!!! LOL I'm a no holds barred kind of girl once I know what I'm talking about, I just have to know what I'm talking about and right now -- I don't. The best solution for that to a girl who likes to learn from other's mistakes..... spend time with others and learn their mistakes.

16 comments:

  1. So many places to see and don't need to to do it all in one year. We love the new Mexico State parks, we do not reserve a site just drive up and take what we can get. Do whatever you like and enjoy the lifestyle. We don't need to socialize at all, sometimes it just happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's usually how we are but I think our new lifestyle insecurity is heightening our awareness of its absence. Good to know about the State Parks, I thought this time of year for sure you'd have to book well in advance with all the snowbirds, so glad to hear that.

      Delete
  2. Elephant Butte is a nice State Park, loved it there. Also, Tucson or Sierra Vista area in lower Az.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, I'll take a look at those for the route back this way.

      Delete
  3. Catalina State Park Tucson is nice. Great hiking and biking trails. Right next to the Catalina Mountains. Beautiful. You feel like you are way out in the country but just outside the entrance is a Mall across the street with restaurants and a movie theater. You can have nature and city accommodations all in one stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds interesting. It also sounds like a whole lot of restaurants which I personally am trying to avoid and His Lordship loves... I don't think he likes my cooking LOL -I'll let him know. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. If you are missing people ... I would suggest for mid December use passport america (50% off and usually good in December at RV Parks - January is usually a blackout period) and get into a large RV Park in Mesa. They have plenty of events, people seem friendly and there is lots of christmas stuff to see close by, Organ Pizza, Lights at the Phoenix Zoo etc. You would definitely find people to talk to at their pancake breakfasts etc. Another thing to go to is the Arizona Oprey, which is a dinner theatre with country music and you get a roast beef dinner for $39 each. After a week of that you would be ready to find a place that is quiet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I hadn't even thought about Xmas!! Well that should be good timing for us... by then we'll be ready for another dose of people... Good thinking. Guess I'm going to have to start thinking ahead a bit further than usual.

      Delete
    2. Ray said to also mention to you that at Quartzsite that QA community center has programs ... learning spanish, line dancing, aerobics, dances etc. we noted last year when we were in Q so check it out.

      Delete
    3. Yeah we've read all the stuff but for us (I'm only 48, he's 52) we're just not ready for that just yet :D

      Delete
  5. We were in Angel Fire 6 weeks ago. Very beautiful with the changing Aspen trees a brilliant yellow. But - it is high elevation in the mountains! It is cold there now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we did research it last night and found out it was a ski resort. That was our first clue and you just confirmed it. Thanks again.

      Delete
  6. We feel that our first year ( 7 years ago?) we did too much sightseeing and travelling, trying to get it all in, still being in vacation mode, instead of living mode. We went back to Canada exhausted. So, my rule now is minimum two weeks in a place, preferAbly a month, before moving on. ( other than the journey down and back). We also cycle in and out of parks, but usa parks are pricing themselves out for us. Like many BC'ers, we are choosing Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mexico? Not sure we'd ever do Mexico. Shouldn't say never, but... In my mind (and his) that's a dangerous place. I know people say it isn't but I don't know....

      Delete
  7. Hi,just found your blog ,and am enjoying the reading!we are fellow BC RVers,not full timers though,we usually get down to Quartszite late Jan.We tend to be a little bit "loners" and keep to ourselves,so I do understand the lack of a social atmosphere when boondocking.We tend to be "shy" for lack of a better word,so it's a little harder to connect with other RVers .I know this year ,I will try a little harder to be more "out there" !Because we only spend 2mons down south , we move camp grounds every week or two,so we have lots of variety and changes of scenery, so ,that makes social contact a little harder.With your Jeep you will start to make contacts with like minded RVers that enjoy 4wheeling,just my thought !If you do get to New Mex , try and get to Carlsbad Caverns ,a real Bucket list sight to see !Cheers ,keep up the great blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Bill, Thank you for the kind words, I am quite enjoying writing the blog and hearing from new commenters like yourself. We have a new neighbour today, guy in a truck, I might get brazen and go say hi... let you know if/how that works out.

      Delete

Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie